The Lemelerberg, together with the Archemerberg and the Besthemerberg, form the northernmost part of the Sallandse Heuvelrug, a now strongly fragmented lateral moraine that was created in the penultimate ice age. A huge glacier then moved south through the IJssel valley and pushed the loam, sand and gravel it carried along on both sides up to high walls. The mountains have become smaller over time due to drift, but still reach a height of 81 m (Lemelerberg). The Archemerberg 78 m is the only one not wooded, so that from this point you have a breathtaking view of Salland, Twente and the Vecht valley in clear weather.
It can no longer be seen from the houses and buildings, but Ommen is one of the oldest towns in Salland. In 1248 it received city rights for its support of the bishop during the battle of Ane, as well as the lease of the ferry and the toll.
Ommen was at the crossroads of important connecting roads. Here the Vecht and the Regge flow together, connecting the Zuiderzee and the hinterland. Furthermore, one of the few country roads to the north ran from Om-men towards Avereest through the peat bogs.
The name of the old pine forest, Het Zand, is reminiscent of the extensive cover sand areas that used to lie south of the Vecht. These formed the transition from the lowlands around Zwolle to the Sallandse Heuvelrug. Until the mid-19th century, the Rechterense Veld, Hessumse Veld, Vilsterse Veld and Giethmense Veld were wasteland, mainly heathlands that were grazed by flocks of sheep. After reclamation, some areas were used for agriculture, others were planted with coniferous forest to prevent drifting.
The landscape around Ommen is dominated by the northern foothills of the Sallandse Heuvelrug, which consists of gravelly sands and is therefore unsuitable for agriculture.
You cycle along the two highest mountains, the Archemerberg (78 m) and the Lemelerberg (81 m).
Rechteren Castle, just northwest of Rechteren, is the only one of the medieval castles in Overijssel; important parts of which have survived despite siege, dismantling and major renovations. The oldest part, the 25m high residential tower, dates from of 1315. The other buildings were added later and renovated several times. In 1889, various parts were raised by one floor. There is a vast estate near the castle.
Huize Vilsteren, the church and the windmill are the eye-catchers of the village of Vilsteren. The village is overshadowed by the heavy foliage of oak and beech. Huize Vil-steren is not that old (1908) and has never had the status of manor house. Before that time there was a so-called court here, a kind of steward's office of the landowner, where the farmers came to pay their rent. Since 1850, the estate has been owned by the Cremers family. Their coat of arms is bricked in above the side entrance of the Willibrord Church (1907). Huize Vilsteren in its current form is a creation of the architect Cuypers.
At Ommen there was a ford in the Vecht. There was a robbery lock: the castle Het Laer. All ships and travelers passing through had to pay a toll. Count Rudolf van Coevorden controlled the area from this castle and led the historic battle of Ane. After the battle, the robbery castle was razed to the ground in revenge by the successor of the defeated bishop.
In 1744, the current Het Laer castle was built a little further east, which was renovated in the 19th century and is now used as a conference venue.
Route offered by: ANWB