Kasteel Jeanne de Merode

This castle was built between 1909 and 1912. It is also called the 'new castle' because it was built later than the castle Prins de Merode. The castle was the residence of Countess Jeanne de Merode for a long time, until the Nazis seized the castle in 1940 and used it as a headquarters. The countess then moved to the other castle of the de Merode family. That castle was also her childhood home. Jeanne de Merode died in 1944. The castle was then converted into a rest home for priests under the direction of the Augustinian sisters. In 1972 the municipality bought the castle and today the town hall is still located in this fairytale location. A historic garden surrounds the castle. You can take a look at the castle during the opening hours of the town hall and occasionally interesting exhibitions are held. The castle was built in neo-Gothic style by architect Pierre Langerock.

Visit us

Boerenkrijglaan 61
B-2260 Westerlo
Flanders Belgium

Share this point of interest

See Routiq in...
  • Routiq Logo Routiq App
  • Browser Browser