Cisterciënklooster Groot Galilea
This abbey was built in 1403 on the spot where a marsh used to be found. In 1412 the monastery became part of the Cistercian order. During the Guelders Wars in the sixteenth century, the monastery was looted several times and a fire in 1523 also caused a lot of damage. In 1579, the Protestant religion was introduced in Overijssel, whereby all monastery was abolished. The buildings of this monastery then fell into ruins and the above-ground part of the monastery was demolished. The remains of the abbey can be found in the ground of the site near the village of Sibculo. In 2016, a monastery garden was set up on this site. This garden and grounds are maintained by volunteers.
7693 PP Hardenberg
Overijssel The Netherlands
Share this point of interest