De Waegh Monnickendam
Tourist landmark

De Waegh Monnickendam

Call us Visit the website
Waegh is an old Dutch word for weighing house. There was already a Waegh building in Monnickendam in 1382. The Waegh was destroyed by fire in 1666. The current Waegh dates from 1668, built from the remains of its predecessor. The Waegh was the economic center of the city and in fact had two functions; the Waegh building (inside) and the Beurs (outside under the roof). The building was used for weighing and trading butter, cheese and grains. The original balance sheets are another nice detail from that time.The upper room served as the meeting room for the councilors, which consisted of four mayors and various councilors.

Visit us

1141 AZ Waterland
North Holland The Netherlands

Share this point of interest

See Routiq in...
  • Routiq Logo Routiq App
  • Browser Browser