'Het hoge licht-oud', kunstverlichtingsmuseum
On February 14, 1894, the lighthouse, the 'Hoge licht', was put into use. AC van Loo's design was built by iron foundry Penn & Bauduin from Dordrecht. The tower, which is 30 meters high (from mound to top of weather vane), had a double function. It was a recognition and a guide light for the incoming voyage. With the smaller lighthouse on the Berghaven, the 'low light', which has now been moved to Rotterdam, the 'high light' formed the so-called light line: when the two lights were visible directly above each other , the ship was on course to enter the canal. In 1960 the light was made rotatable so that the powerful light beams sweeped over Hoek van Holland. In 1974 the light was turned off. New lighthouses were needed due to the change of the harbor mouth and the change in the direction of the light line; in the old situation it was 108? and now it is 107 ?. The old 'Hoge licht' has been a national monument since 1982; the Coastal Lighting Museum is located there.
Hoge Licht 102
3151 AC Rotterdam
South Holland The Netherlands
Share this point of interest