Kasteel Batenburg

The facing stone of Batenburg Castle states that the castle was built in 327, but this has never been proven. The town of the same name is known to have originated in the twelfth century. The fact that now only a ruin remains of the castle is due to the fact that the castle was increasingly damaged over the years. During the Siege of Grave in 1586 in the Eighty Years' War, Spanish troops entrenched themselves in the already damaged castle. They were driven out by the States troops, who largely destroyed the castle. After the war, the building was somewhat renovated, until the French troops destroyed it in 1794. After this, the castle was never rebuilt. The ruins can now be visited, look for current opening times at Landschap-kastelen/locatie/?locatie=109.

Visit us

Kasteel Batenburg
6634AW Wijchen
Gelderland The Netherlands

Share this point of interest

See Routiq in...
  • Routiq Logo Routiq App
  • Browser Browser