Walking route description of inner city Uilenburg - Vughterstraat
1-Departure point is Visstraat at Lepelstraat.
2-Go to the Hooge Steenweg at the Kruisstraat to the right.
How did the Kruisstraat get its name? Nothing can be said with certainty. We suspect that the intersection at Korenbrugstraat and Eerste Korenstraatje gave rise to this name. It can also be said that the section between Korenbrugstraat and Vistraat used to be called the Korte Kruisstraat.
3-At the end of the Kruisstraat keep left into the Snellestraat.
Originally, the Snellestraat had no name, at least not officially. She was located behind the Friars Minor Monastery and that is why the people of Bosschen baptized her 'Achter de Brueren'. After demolition of the monastery, 'The Greatest' was built on site, which was a military prison. It took up a large part of the street. That is why this section, which ran from the later Minderbroedersstraat to the Diest, was called 'The Violence'. From the Minderbroedersstraat to the Vughterstraat the name was in 1611 'De Koffermekersstraat'. The name Snellestraat first came into being in the second half of the 17th century and is due to a house standing there that was called 'De Drie Snellekens'. A quick was the name of a drinking cup in ancient times.
4-Second street right into Stoofstraat and at the end turn right into Postelstraat.
The Stoofstraat owes its name to the bathhouses that were located in this street in ancient times. At that time such a house was called 'stove'; they were not well known. In the Postelstraat one of the many guest houses that Den Bosch used to have. It was founded in 1443 by Margriet Spijkers, who was a beguin on the Klein Begijnhof, of which the Begijnestraatje still reminds. This guest house, which consisted of two houses, housed "four godly women of honorable conversation and good life". According to the historian it was located 'in a corridor on the Postelstraat'.
5-First street to the left into the Uilenburgstraatje and at the end of the street left into the uilenburg.
Neighborhood located on the west side outside the oldest city center. Came inside the wall when the second city wall was built in 1383. Large stone houses were built early on. The Vughterstroom flows centrally through the district, along which a street runs. This urban development situation also occurred further in the city at the Marktstroom (Tolbrugkwartier)
6-At the end of the street turn left into the Capucijnenpoort and at the end turn right into the Postelstraat.
The Postelstraat, incorrectly also called Apostelstraat, owes its name to the former Refuge House of the still existing Postel Abbey. The Abbey had been given a house there by a generous Bosch burgher named Lambertus Sus in 1258. The Oude Waterstraatje, which would later become the Capucijnenpoort, led over the Diest via a bridge. Postel was a prominent order, which is evident from the fact that several monks were members of the Illustere Lieve Vrouwe Broederschap, and not everyone could just become that. In 1613 a part of the house was sold to the Capuchins and since then the street has been called Capuchijnenpoort.
7-At the Vughterstraat turn right after which ± 150 meters turn left into the Kuipertjeswal.
This street runs where the city wall was before 1400 and at the intersection with the Vughterstraat stood the Heilig Kruispoort. When the buildings along the Vughterdijk were walled, the Vughtereind with the Vughterpoort was created. The Heilig Kruispoort was then called the Vughter inner gate.
8-At the end of the street, turn right into Parklaan, direction bastion Vught.
Remains of the city wall with bastion and tower. Before the Binnendieze was filled in along this avenue, there were three bridges over it, the first was called the Marggraffbruggetje. It was demolished during the war, but then rebuilt by the vd Wielen family (last city farm), the second belonged to the Leeuw cigar factory, the third led to the Tilmanshofje.
9-At bastion Vught around hotel Chalet Royal towards Westwal.
The street used to be called up to and including what is now called the Buitenhaven, so the entire west side of the city. Remnants of the medieval city walls are still in the underground. Remains city wall with tower.
10-Second street turn right into Katerstraat and at the end turn left into Vughterstraat.
The Vughterstraat only came into existence during the first expansion of the city that took place between the years 1250 and 1352, although there must have been houses before.
11-Second street left into Achter de Boomgaard and at the end turn right into Sint Janssingel.
Berewouthof, former barracks building from 1744. Consisting of three perpendicular wings, which open up an open courtyard. The clean masonry facades contain wide windows with segmented relief arches. Windows in facades to the courtyard partially covered with stretch. Brick gutter cantilever. Right side gable is a plastered spout gable with top and shoulder pads, brick straps and T-sash windows with segmented relief arches. The left side wall is a spout wall with top and shoulder pieces and braids of clean masonry. Against this facade is a staircase from around 1935. Single-shaped oak beams. Cover with pine roof beam and scissor trusses with beam. Above the central entrance a bluestone facing brick with the year 1744. Beautiful building of simple yet harmonious architecture and of archaeological value.
12-Second street to the right into the Walpoort and turn left at the end into Molenstraat. (Tip! Rondvaart Binnendieze)
Ruienburg mean the frequent or regular peeling of corn and that does not seem so strange to us, especially for this neighborhood. The grain required by the city was mainly brought in through St. John's Gate. And several street names in the neighborhood tell us that it must have been one real grain center here: the two Korenstraatjes where many corn buyers and also the chief of their guild lived, the Korenbrug, the Korenbrugstraat and also the Lepelstraat: repel was the name of a medieval bushel. There was also a house in this neighborhood called 'De Corenberch'. And in the Karrenstraat, where their wagons were parked and where a lot of grain was traded in the inns, a building actually bore the name 'De Hollandsche Rullewagen'. That is why it probably also seems to us that there were one or more grain mills in this district. Perhaps the watermill, traces of which were found at Molenstraat for a few years, was a hulling mill such as can still be found in the province of Groningen.
13-Einde Molenstraat turn left into St. Jansstraat At the end of St. Jansstraat turn right into St. Janssingel and at the next intersection turn right into the visstraat to the starting point.
During the time that 's-Hertogenbosch got a railway line, this street was built on the place where until that time (1874) the Vismarkt was. The Visstraat and, by extension, the Stationsweg, made the station more accessible.