De Sluis Weert
6006 SJ Weert
De Sluis Weert is a nice place to relax after a walk or a bike ride. Set aside some time for a so-called'Weerter moment\\\': a cup of coffee with a piece of real Limburg flan. You can also choose from an extensive range of specialty beer. A nice lunch with a sandwich and a cup of soup, a 3-course dinner or enjoying one of the seasonal dishes is also possible. The party center is a stone's throw from all kinds of tourist attractions and beautiful walking and cycling areas, such as De IJzeren Man and the associated swimming pool, Weerterbergen, the Weerterbos and Kinderpretland.
Molen Windlust 14
6031 RN Nederweert
This windmill was built in Nederweert in 1872. The mill has had different owners over the centuries, but since 2001 the mill has been owned by the municipality of Nederweert. It may be called a miracle that this mill can still be found in Nederweert. In 1944 the mill was almost completely destroyed when a German troop set the mill on fire. In 1947 the remains of the interior were removed and only the burnt-out hull remained. Between 1979 and 1993, the mill was restored by the then owner and the mill came back to life. The entire interior of the mill was renewed with the exception of the top shaft. In 2009, the municipality started a reconstruction of the oil percussion work in collaboration with the Adriaens windmill maker. Since the summer of 2011, the mill has been operational again. For example, the mill changed from a wreck into a mill that works fine again.
Molen de Hoop
Molen de Hoop in Swartbroek dates from 1788, but the mill has not always stood on this spot. In 1905 the mill was moved from Vlaardingen to the church village of Swartbroek. Here the mill was rebuilt without a scaffolding. In 1935, the miller at the time adapted the interior of the mill and in 1938 he replaced all kinds of other parts of the mill. The mill was thoroughly restored between 1954 and 1955. The mill then ran without problems for six months, but then everything went wrong. The end result was the mill's standstill. Around 1970 a demolition permit was even applied for, because the mill had become so dilapidated. It was not until 1981 that the mill was restored and returned to its original state as a tower mill. De Hoop is one of the few Limburg scaffolding mills. Wheat, rye and buckwheat are still ground by a professional miller in the De Hoop mill.
On the edge of the Weerter church village of Tungelroy, somewhat hidden from the Tungeler Dorpsstraat, is the round stone Sint-Anna Mill. In 1875 the belt mill was built on the Tungeler Dorpsstraat. The mill replaced two older water mills along the Tungelroyse brook. The inside of the mill was restored in 1967 and then the mill was largely restored again in 2009-2011. The mill runs and grinds regularly through the efforts of volunteer millers. The mill exhibits old miller's tools and grain-building equipment.
The St. Jansmolen is a hollow post mill from 1783. In 1804 the post mill was moved to its current location. The mill ground grains on a professional basis until 1978.
Molen de Nijverheid
This mill is also called the Molen van Nijs. It is a round stone belt mill that was built in 1903. The mill was decommissioned around 1960 and from then on the mill fell into disrepair. Nowadays the mill runs on a voluntary basis again.
Sint Anna 1a
6006 PW Weert
The Sint Anna corn belt mill is located near the Dijkerakker. This mill was built between 1911 and 1912. Before this mill was built, the farmers of Moesel, Keent and Altweertheide had to travel a long way to grind their grain, but that was solved with the construction of this mill. In the construction of this mill, parts of the much older Clercx mill that used to be on the Driesveld in Weert were used. The white windmill with accents in the colors of the flag of the Netherlands is a striking appearance in the green environment. You can already see the mill protruding above the landscape from afar. In 1950 the owner of Sint Anna sold the mill because he no longer saw a future in it. The municipality of Weert then saved the mill from destruction. The mill was thoroughly restored between 2010 and 2011. Since then, volunteer millers have been running and grinding the mill regularly. This prevents the mill from standing still too often and decaying.
The bell gristmill Sint Oda was built between 1884 and 1885. The mill is named after the saint who is worshiped in a chapel in Boshoven. Over the years, the mill has been restored several times. In 1905, for example, the wooden ash head of the mill broke. The mill was then repaired and provided with an iron shaft and rods, so that this could not happen again. Between the years 1959 and 1960 the mill was again restored. The mill was then used intensively for many years and therefore the mill could use a facelift. Mainly rye and buckwheat was ground in the company, although the demand for rye continued to decline as more people started to eat white bread. From 1961, the mill was used more for grinding retail flour and grinding pet food. In 2002 the company came to an end. In 2008 the mill ran again, but the mill has now come to a standstill. Nowadays the mill is no longer capable of turning.
In the flat countryside between Weert and Nederweert you will find the St. Antoniusmolen. This belt gristmill was built in 1904. In 1954 the mill was severely damaged by a severe storm, but the mill was then restored. Until 1970 professional miller Janus de Wild ground this mill. Just like the other Weerter mills, a lot of baking rye was ground on this mill. However, the self-baking and consumption of rye bread and wheat bread decreased as prosperity increased. People got more money and often switched to white bread. In the end, even manufacturing animal feed was no longer profitable. The mill was shut down and only trade was conducted. Only Janus de Wild kept the mill running from time to time. Years of standstill and decay followed, with minor restoration here and there. Today the mill is privately owned and the owners are busy restoring the mill and making it turnable again.