This flour mill was built in 1904 as a replacement for an earlier post mill. The mill was restored on a large scale in 2008. You can visit the mill from Wednesday to Sunday.
Molen de Hoop
Molen de Hoop in Swartbroek dates from 1788, but the mill has not always stood on this spot. In 1905 the mill was moved from Vlaardingen to the church village of Swartbroek. Here the mill was rebuilt without a scaffolding. In 1935, the miller at the time adapted the interior of the mill and in 1938 he replaced all kinds of other parts of the mill. The mill was thoroughly restored between 1954 and 1955. The mill then ran without problems for six months, but then everything went wrong. The end result was the mill's standstill. Around 1970 a demolition permit was even applied for, because the mill had become so dilapidated. It was not until 1981 that the mill was restored and returned to its original state as a tower mill. De Hoop is one of the few Limburg scaffolding mills. Wheat, rye and buckwheat are still ground by a professional miller in the De Hoop mill.
On the edge of the Weerter church village of Tungelroy, somewhat hidden from the Tungeler Dorpsstraat, is the round stone Sint-Anna Mill. In 1875 the belt mill was built on the Tungeler Dorpsstraat. The mill replaced two older water mills along the Tungelroyse brook. The inside of the mill was restored in 1967 and then the mill was largely restored again in 2009-2011. The mill runs and grinds regularly through the efforts of volunteer millers. The mill exhibits old miller's tools and grain-building equipment.
Sint Anna 1a
6006 PW Weert
The Sint Anna corn belt mill is located near the Dijkerakker. This mill was built between 1911 and 1912. Before this mill was built, the farmers of Moesel, Keent and Altweertheide had to travel a long way to grind their grain, but that was solved with the construction of this mill. In the construction of this mill, parts of the much older Clercx mill that used to be on the Driesveld in Weert were used. The white windmill with accents in the colors of the flag of the Netherlands is a striking appearance in the green environment. You can already see the mill protruding above the landscape from afar. In 1950 the owner of Sint Anna sold the mill because he no longer saw a future in it. The municipality of Weert then saved the mill from destruction. The mill was thoroughly restored between 2010 and 2011. Since then, volunteer millers have been running and grinding the mill regularly. This prevents the mill from standing still too often and decaying.
In the flat countryside between Weert and Nederweert you will find the St. Antoniusmolen. This belt gristmill was built in 1904. In 1954 the mill was severely damaged by a severe storm, but the mill was then restored. Until 1970 professional miller Janus de Wild ground this mill. Just like the other Weerter mills, a lot of baking rye was ground on this mill. However, the self-baking and consumption of rye bread and wheat bread decreased as prosperity increased. People got more money and often switched to white bread. In the end, even manufacturing animal feed was no longer profitable. The mill was shut down and only trade was conducted. Only Janus de Wild kept the mill running from time to time. Years of standstill and decay followed, with minor restoration here and there. Today the mill is privately owned and the owners are busy restoring the mill and making it turnable again.
The bell gristmill Sint Oda was built between 1884 and 1885. The mill is named after the saint who is worshiped in a chapel in Boshoven. Over the years, the mill has been restored several times. In 1905, for example, the wooden ash head of the mill broke. The mill was then repaired and provided with an iron shaft and rods, so that this could not happen again. Between the years 1959 and 1960 the mill was again restored. The mill was then used intensively for many years and therefore the mill could use a facelift. Mainly rye and buckwheat was ground in the company, although the demand for rye continued to decline as more people started to eat white bread. From 1961, the mill was used more for grinding retail flour and grinding pet food. In 2002 the company came to an end. In 2008 the mill ran again, but the mill has now come to a standstill. Nowadays the mill is no longer capable of turning.