B16 - Dieren - Hof te Dieren
Oude Arnhemsestraatweg 16
6953 AX Rheden
Estate 'Hof te Dieren', vineyard, is situated in a unique location and came into the possession of the monastic knights of the Teutonic Order in 1218. Stadtholder Willem II bought it in 1647. Until the construction of Het Loo, this was the favorite hunting lodge of the Oranges. The hunting lodge no longer exists, but the estate is now used as a vineyard. The vineyard is walled on three sides with a brick wall of 2.75 meters high. This wall dates back to 1885 and was built to create a meso climate. Due to the wall and the belt of trees of old 30 to 40 meter high beech and oak trees, which are also on both sides, the north and west wind hardly affects the vineyard. Less wind means a higher temperature in spring and summer. Although the long side of the wall is largely oriented to the northeast, all kinds of espalier fruit could be soaked against it. An ingenious system with a cavity wall ensures an enormous storage of heat in sunny weather, which is radiated to the inner wall during the night. In the organic vineyard, red, white and ros? wines made. The vineyard can be visited both individually and with a group. Individual visits on Saturday afternoons, groups also on other days.
Hotel Conferentiecentrum Rhederoord
Independently fortified building from the Middle Ages that was easily defended at that time and in the past was mostly inhabited by the noble families of the Netherlands
Kasteel Biljoen 1
6883 JH Rheden
Biljoen Castle is located on the edge of the Gelderse Velp. This castle was built in the 16th century by Charles of Guelders, the Duke of Guelders and Count of Zutphen around 1530. This castle was partly built with parts from the nearby castle Overhagen. In need of money, this castle was sold in 1535 to the Duke's steward. The castle is then passed from generation to generation and the castle is rebuilt several times. For example, the castle is enlarged and provided with four corner towers. In 1672, King Lodwijk XIV of France temporarily settled at Castle Biljoen. As a result, this castle was one of the few Gelderland castles that was not burnt to the ground at this time. Alexander Bernhard van Spaen became the new owner of the castle in the second half of the 17th century. The castle was then renovated to its current form and a beautiful garden and a park were created.
M11 | Park en Kasteel Rosendael
Kasteel Rosendael 1
6891 DA Rozendaal
Of the 20 castles in the duchy, Rosendael was a favorite of many dukes because of its beautiful location on the edge of the Veluwe. The large medieval complex consisted of an outer castle, a main castle and a large keep. Only the keep has survived the ravages of time. The huge medieval keep with walls of 4 meters thick is the visible part of the castle. During an investigation in 1985, wall remains were found in the castle pond. An 18th century residential complex has been built on the tower. The castle is the core of the old Rosendael estate. In the park you will find, among other things, the 'deceivers', the shell gallery, tea dome, rose garden, orangery, ponds, sprinkling streams, chain bridge, special trees and old park forest
Witte Villa Sonsbeek
Witte Villa 3
Grafmonument Jacob van Lennep
oude begraafplaats 4-01
In 1868 Jacob van Lennep is on holiday with his wife in Oosterbeek when he falls ill. A few weeks later he dies in hotel Schoonoord. Since it was very hot that summer, the deceased quickly began to decompose. To the horror of the next of kin, the boarding house keeper has the body moved to a shed in the garden of the hotel. Two days later Van Lennep (1802-1868) is buried: not in Amsterdam, but in Oosterbeek. The grave monument is erected a year later, it is a national monument. Source: Marita Mathijsen's blog. Click on the button below for her more extensive story.
M9: Oude Kerk
A small church was built in Oosterbeek in the 10th century. This makes it one of the oldest surviving church buildings in the Netherlands. The name Oosterbeek is said to be derived from the Ostbac, the brook that flows through the Zweiersdal. Oosterbeek forms a link between the southern edge of the Veluwe and the flood plains along the Rhine. A church was built here in the 10th century, making it one of the oldest church buildings in the Netherlands.
Grebbelinie - Wageningen
3911 VH Rhenen
Here you can recognize points in the landscape marked out by water, which were part of the Grebbe line.
Bastions op de Uiterwaarden 75
3911 AB Rhenen
Here you can recognize points in the landscape marked out by water, which were part of the Grebbe line. The Grebbelinie was a front line of the Old Dutch Waterline and was built in the eighteenth century. These defenses had to protect the important cities in Holland against invaders by means of inundation (deliberate and controlled flooding).